The Kentucky Department of Education’s Novice Reduction Team will provide workshop sessions to support school and district leadership teams in propelling student achievement and decreasing the number of students who are not performing at a proficient level. Workshops will be held in 11 locations across Kentucky.
Here are the workshop sessions:
- “The Role of Novice Reduction in School Improvement” – This three-hour workshop is designed for leadership teams and requires leaders to make connections between present conditions and the Key Core Work Processes in need of repair for whole school improvement. Participants will assess the state of their current processes, practices and conditions as the Novice Reduction Team shares resources, planning tools and strategies to improve the quality and effectiveness of the current novice reduction efforts within schools and districts.
- “The Importance of Balanced Assessment Practices in Novice Reduction” – This three-hour workshop provides a setting for leadership teams to align both their novice reduction and school improvement work to include the most effective assessment practices. Participants will explore current conditions and methods to improve in the following areas: establishing clear purpose for learning, establishing clear targets for learning, designing sound assessments, creating effective communication structures and promoting student ownership.
- “Novice Reduction Strategies that Impact Student Learning” – Within this six-hour workshop, teacher leaders will reflect on the current instructional practices occurring in their classrooms and will then have the opportunity to participate in research-based strategies. Participants will receive a packet of resources and materials related to high-yield strategies that can be implemented immediately in classrooms. The workshop will include strategies that include actionable steps for implementation of the work. The monitoring pieces for effectiveness and impact of these strategies on student learning will be included in the planning process.
Here is the schedule of workshop dates and sites:
- Sept. 11, 13 – Florence, Ralph Rush Staff Development Center
- Sept. 14-15 – Russell Springs, Russell County Schools Auditorium/Natatorium Complex
- Sept. 25-26 – Madisonville, Madisonville Community College, Brown-Badgett Building
- Sept. 27-28 – Lexington, Central Kentucky Educational Cooperative
- Oct. 3-4 – Somerset, Somerset Community College
- Oct. 16-17 – Prestonsburg, Jenny Wiley State Resort Park
- Oct. 18-19 – Ashland, Kentucky Educational Development Cooperative
- Oct. 24-25 – Franklin, Franklin-Simpson Center
- Oct. 24, Nov. 2 – Shelbyville, Ohio Valley Educational Cooperative
- Oct. 25-26 – Lexington, Kentucky Educational Development Cooperative
- Nov. 1-2 – Paducah, West Kentucky Community and Technical College
Visit KDE’s website for more information and links to registration.