In support of the implementation of the Kentucky Academic Standards for Social Studies, the Kentucky Department of Education has released two new professional learning modules: “Minding the Gap” and “KAS for Social Studies: Inquiry Ready.” Both modules can be accessed through the Social Studies Professional Learning Modules webpage.
“Minding the Gap” provides district leaders, school administrators, instructional specialists/coaches, department chairs and/or teacher leaders guidance on how to identify and close gaps in their social studies programs when implementing the Kentucky Academic Standards (KAS) for Social Studies. The goals of this module include:
- Build a shared understanding of the KAS for Social Studies progressions and grade-level expectations;
- Begin to map the expectations of the KAS for Social Studies to current practice and curricula;
- Identify gaps and overlaps between the KAS for Social Studies and current practice and curricula;
- Identify and prioritize existing gaps and consider available curriculum resources, time allocation for each content area and any additional solutions to eliminate gaps; and
- Create a proposed plan of action to successfully implement the 2019 KAS for Social Studies and close gaps.
“KAS for Social Studies: Inquiry Ready” contains three online modules for developing an understanding of the new KAS for Social Studies. As educators start aligning programs (curricula, pacing guides, assessments, et cetera) to the new standards, they may find that they need to be immersed in the instructional shifts that the new standards require.
These online modules help educators by unpacking big ideas (inquiry, equity, literacy and action) and instructional tools for the work. The goals of this module include:
- Module One: “Big Ideas of Social Studies” – This module focuses on inquiry, specifically how inquiry is defined in the KAS for Social Studies and how inquiry relates to equity, action and literacy.
- Module Two: “Making Inquiry Visible in Social Studies” – This module aims to help teachers become clear about the practice of inquiry by designing an inquiry using the Inquiry Design Model. As you work through the module, you will be building out the elements of the blueprint.
- Module Three: “Getting to Work” – This module focuses on getting to work using inquiry in elementary, middle and high school classrooms.