Western Kentucky University is celebrating National Poetry Month in April by asking grade 6-8 teachers and school librarians to encourage their students to write original poetry for consideration for publication.
“Caverns: The Kentucky Middle School Poetry Anthology” is an annual collection of poetry by students in grades 6-8. The first edition of this online anthology will launch in fall 2017.
Editors will review and select from submitted poems to be considered for publication. Selection is based on the following criteria:
- Original poetry only. No fan fiction or found poetry will be accepted.
- First publication (not previously published, even on any form of social media).
- Poems should convey a central idea, not just stream of consciousness.
- The editors encourage experimentation with established poetic forms, including original song lyrics.
- Submissions must be typed on accompanying forms.
- Original photographs or illustrations are permitted and must be submitted in .jpeg, .jpg, or .png format. Reduce the size of the original image in a photo-editor program.
- Obscenities, offensive language, biased or bigoted slurs are not permitted.
- Maximum of three poems to be submitted per student poet, per issue.
- Parent/guardian permission required before accepted poems will be published.
The anthology will be freely available online through Western Kentucky University’s website.
Student submissions will be accepted through April 30. Students may email up to three poems, along with the required submission form, to email@example.com. For more information and to access the submission form, click here.
Students whose poems are accepted will be notified from contact information provided. A parent/guardian permission form will be sent and must be completed and returned prior to publication.