“CAVERNS: Kentucky Middle School Poetry is celebrating April as National Poetry Month by asking grade 6-8 teachers and school librarians to encourage their students to write original poetry for consideration for publication in the 2019 edition.
“CAVERNS” is an annual collection of poetry by students in grades 6-8. The first edition of this online anthology launched in spring 2018 and is available on the Western Kentucky University website.
Editors will select from the submitted poems based on the following criteria:
- Original poetry only. No fan fiction or found poetry will be accepted.
- The poem must be first publication (not previously published, even on any form of social media).
- Poems should convey a central idea, not just a stream of consciousness.
- The editors encourage experimentation with established poetic forms, including original song lyrics.
- Submissions must be typed on accompanying forms.
- Original photographs or illustrations are permitted and must be submitted in .jpeg, .jpg, or .png format. Reduce the size of the original image in a photo-editor program.
- Obscenities, offensive language, biased or bigoted slurs are not permitted.
- Maximum of three poems or art/photos to be submitted per student, per annual edition.
- Parent/guardian permission forms are required with submissions.
Teachers should submit their students’ poems to email@example.com. Submissions will be accepted through April 30. For more information, email Roxanne Spencer, “CAVERNS” editor. The submission form is available on this Google document.