“Healthy Habits, Shield Our Schools!” is the theme for this year’s Kentucky Safe Schools Week, Oct. 18-24.
The Kentucky Center for School Safety (KCSS) developed the Healthy Habits Safety Pledge to teach safety steps for students, useful whether they’re learning in person or virtually.
I will pledge to do my part to Shield our School by:
- I’ll mask up and cover my face, when I’m in a public place.
- Frequently, I’ll wash my hands, which keep them clean, that’s my plan.
- I’ll keep space between others and me, to help us stay germ-free.
- I’ll be extra kind everyplace, virtual school and face-to-face.
- I’ll consider others as I learn, everyone deserves their turn.
Community members, educators, students and parents are encouraged to get involved with the week’s activities. The KCSS website offers several teaching aids and the Safe Schools Week Tool Kit.
Kentucky Safe Schools Week coincides with America’s Safe Schools Week, which is sponsored by the National School Safety Center.
“I encourage all Kentuckians to get involved and model healthy habits and show extra kindness and support across our Commonwealth for our schools and the tremendous job being done to keep our students safe,” KCSS Executive Director Jon Akers said. “Modeling kindness in our everyday lives will help build the safe communities and schools of tomorrow. Joining together, we can make ‘Healthy Habits, Shield Our Schools!’ a part of our everyday healthy wellness routine.”