The Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) has created the Middle School Career Resources webpage to assist schools in implementation of the Kentucky Academic Standards (KAS) for Career Studies and Financial Literacy.
The KAS for Career Studies and Financial Literacy were approved on May 5, 2020, and are organized by three domains: essential skills, careers and financial literacy.
The new webpage targets career exploration in grades 6-9. A variety of resources are provided to support schools, teachers and parents as they guide students to explore multiple opportunities available as they transition to high school.
The resources align to and support the student learning outcomes expressed by Advance CTE and the Association for Career and Technical Education in “Design Principles for Middle Grades CTE,” which includes:
- Gain awareness of and exposure to a wide array of careers;
- Increase self-awareness and begin to form a potential occupational identity;
- Develop employability skills;
- Develop foundational technical skills as appropriate;
- Be positioned to make more informed educational choices; and
- Transition to high school with an actionable plan for next steps.
For more information about these standards or resources, email Teresa Rogers or call her at (502) 892-6615, ext. 4524.