North Oldham Middle School
- Community: Suburban area near Louisville
- Enrollment: 799
- Grade levels: 6-8
- School schedule: Rotating block
- A literacy coach provides instructional support for teachers and plays a key role at the school.
- Weekly team meetings and PLCs allow teachers to plan based on specific needs and interests of students, to align curriculum and reflect on instructional practice.
- Mastery is the standard; students resubmit work until mastery is achieved.
- Socratic discussion, patterned after the way Socrates conducted learning activities in ancient Greece, is used in many classes to explore ideas in depth and breadth.
- Extended library media center hours provide greater student access for research and to technology.
- Strong, intentional focus on students is evident (e.g., pictures of students in hallways, birthday bulletin board, community bulletin boards in classrooms).
- TARGET program allows students to meet in small groups with an adult to foster the development of social skills.
- Character-building activities allow students to self-assess and address their character development.
- Collaboration is used whenever possible, allowing maximum opportunities for the mastery of standards by all students.
- There is shared ownership for exceptional students with collaborating teachers assigned to each grade level.
- Multiple supports, including high school peer tutors, for students struggling in academic areas have been developed.
- Tolerance is intentionally taught and practiced.
- Classrooms are equipped with Intelligent Classroom systems.
- Team leaders and lead teachers are part of the shared leadership and are also a means of empowering teachers and building leadership capacity.
- Students are given both a process grade that is based on their effort and an academic grade that indicates their mastery level of the standards.
- Faculty are provided time (i.e., common planning for each grade level, PLCs) for working and meeting with colleagues for the purpose of enhancing student achievement.
- Teachers have the opportunity to observe other teachers and reflect on the experience through written evaluation.
- A counselor is assigned to each grade level.