Kentucky’s new school and student accountability and assessment system meets the requirements of Senate Bill 1 and the pledges of the state’s waiver from the No Child Left Behind Act. For Kentucky school board members and superintendents, one of those challenges will be explaining the Unbridled Learning system and what the measures of student achievement mean at the local level.
To help school board members, KSBA is devoting the program of this year’s Fall Regional Meetings to this topic. The program will include an examination of:
- school and district measures of achievement, growth, gap, college and career readiness and high school graduation rates
- how those numbers lead to an overall score, resulting in a first-ever set of rankings by the state for every elementary, middle and high school and district
- what parents will see in the new school report cards, which measure each student’s test scores in reading, mathematics, science and language arts skills.
Education Commissioner Terry Holliday will appear via a special video presentation created to help local school leaders better understand the planning and the reasoning that went into developing the new system.
Board delegations must register in advance for attendance with the host school district. However, if attendance at a meeting other than a KSBA member region is more convenient, contact that host school district and also alert KSBA of those plans to ensure enough program materials are available.
Regional meetings, along with date and city, include:
- Middle Cumberland, Sept. 11, Liberty
- Central Kentucky, Sept. 20, Versailles
- Upper Kentucky River, Sept. 27, Hazard
- Northern Kentucky, Oct. 2, Union
- Eastern Kentucky North, Oct. 16, Morehead
- Upper Cumberland, Oct. 22, London
- Third, Oct. 23, Bowling Green
- First, Oct. 29, Clinton
- Second, Oct. 30, Dixon
- Fourth, Nov. 1, Elizabethtown
- Fifth, Nov. 8, Bedford
- Eastern Kentucky South, Nov. 13, Pikeville
To see a district’s region, go to www.ksba.org/KSBASchoolDistrictsbyRegion.aspx
To see the KSBA regions, go to www.ksba.org/KSBARegionsbyBoardMembership.aspx