The Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) is inviting stakeholders to participate in community forums to gather feedback on the qualities they would like to see in the next principal of the Kentucky School for the Deaf (KSD).
The input of students, staff, families and the Deaf/Hard of Hearing community will be incorporated throughout the process so KDE can make critical and informed decisions throughout the search.
The two forums will provide an opportunity for stakeholders to voice their desires for the character traits and qualities they would like to see and that they believe are most important in the new principal of KSD.
“As Kentucky’s education commissioner and superintendent of our state schools, I understand the importance of involving all stakeholders in the search for the next principal at KSD,” said Kentucky Education Commissioner Jason E. Glass. “I am committed to ensuring that we find the best possible candidate to lead this extraordinary institution.”
The forums are scheduled for:
- Virtual forum: Wednesday, May 24, from 6-7 p.m. ET. The forum will be held via Zoom.
- In-person forum: Wednesday, May 31, from 7-8 p.m. ET. The forum will be held in the gymnasium at the Kentucky School for the Deaf, 303 S. 2nd St., Danville.
To register for the forums, please complete the KSD Virtual Forum registration form.
All the information gathered from the Kentucky School for the Deaf – Principal Profile Survey (which closes at 11 p.m. ET on Friday, June 2) and the two forums will be used by the hiring committee as it is interviewing candidates to ensure KSD has the principal who will be the best fit for the school and the students it serves.
Requirements for the next KSD principal include:
- Administrative certification from the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board for the performance of school principal duties;
- Demonstrated successful leadership in working with students, staff, parents, and the general public; and
- Three or more years of experience in curriculum and instruction development and implementation with direct experience assisting teachers and administrators in curriculum implementation required.
Priority consideration will be given to candidates with Deaf/Hard of Hearing education experience or American Sign Language (ASL) skills. The full job posting is available on the Kentucky Department of Education’s website.
KDE hopes to have a new principal in place at KSD by July 1.
If you would like to receive updates directly from KDE about the principal search, please share your email address with us.