The U.S. Department of Education (USED) has named five Kentucky public schools as 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools based on their overall academic excellence.
The five schools and their districts are:
- Potter Gray Elementary (Bowling Green Independent)
- Cassidy Elementary School (Fayette County)
- Farmington Elementary School (Graves County)
- Russell High School (Russell Independent)
- Drakes Creek Middle School (Warren County)
“I congratulate and thank our newest Blue Ribbon Schools for their hard work to ensure every student has the skills they need for a successful future,” said Kentucky Commissioner of Education Jason E. Glass. “This award shines a light on the dedication of school leaders, staff, teachers, families and communities to strive for, and attain, excellence.”
In addition to the five Kentucky public schools, two private schools in Kentucky were named:
- Villa Madonna Academy Elementary School (Diocese of
- Saint Xavier High School (Archdiocese of Louisville)
These Kentucky schools are among 353 schools across the country that were recognized this year. The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student groups.
“The honorees for our 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools Award have set a national example for what it means to raise the bar in education,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona. “The leaders, educators and staff at our National Blue Ribbon Schools continually inspire me with their dedication to fostering academic excellence and building positive school cultures that support students of all backgrounds to thrive academically, socially and emotionally.”
In its 40-year history, the National Blue Ribbon Schools program has become a trademark of excellence and a symbol of exemplary teaching and learning. National Blue Ribbon Schools serve as models of effective school practices for state and district educators throughout the nation.
The program recognizes schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools: Among the state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools: Among the state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
The 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools will be honored at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., later this school year.
More information on the program, and a list of past Kentucky winners, is available on USED’s website.