By Amy Wallot
Members of the third installment of the Next-Generation Student Council recently visited the offices of the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) for a day of learning and sharing. They met with Commissioner Terry Holliday and state Rep. Derrick Graham, D-Frankfort, and learned about the Professional Growth and Effectiveness System and the LYNC Toolkit from members of the KDE staff.
I visited with the group on and off during the day to photograph their visit. A KDE staff member stopped us in the hallway as we were on our way to take the group photo. “Oh, you’re the student council. I’ve heard about you. It’s nice to see students at KDE,” she said. And I agree. While staff members are always out visiting schools, it was a nice switch to have students visiting us.
Returning members to the council are:
• Vincent Cao – 12th grade, Paul Laurence Dunbar High School (Fayette County)
• Morgan Casto – 12th grade, Russell High School (Russell Independent)
• David Hormell – 12th grade, Martha Layne Collins High School (Shelby County)
• Tiffany Parham – 12th grade, Murray High School (Murray Independent)
• Guyron Spalding – 12th grade, Bardstown High School (Bardstown Independent)
New members to the council are:
• Nolan Calhoun – 10th grade, Grant County High School
• Zachary Creekmore – 11th grade, Whitley County High School
• Jiahui Hu – 12th grade, DuPont Manual High School (Jefferson County)
• Karson Johnson – 10th grade, Marshall County High School
• Deanie Pedigo – 10th grade, Barren County High School
• Quincy Penn – 11th grade, Frankfort High School (Frankfort Independent)