(FRANKFORT, KY) – The U. S. Department of Education (USED) has named five Kentucky public schools as 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools based on their overall academic excellence.
The five schools and their districts are:
- Cairo Elementary School (Henderson County)
- Fancy Farm Elementary School (Graves County)
- Frankfort High School (Frankfort Independent)
- Longbranch Elementary School (Boone County)
- Samuel Woodfill Elementary School (Fort Thomas Independent)
“This award shines a light on the dedication of school leaders, staff, teachers, families and communities to strive for, and attain, excellence,” said Kentucky Commissioner of Education Jason E. Glass. “I congratulate and thank our newest Blue Ribbon Schools for their hard work to ensure every student has the skills they need for a successful future.”
In addition to the five Kentucky public schools, two private schools in Kentucky were named:
- Saint Francis Of Assisi School (Archdiocese of Louisville)
- Saint Therese School (Diocese of Covington)
The Kentucky schools are among the 297 public and private elementary, middle and high schools across the country that were recognized this year. The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups.
“I applaud all the honorees for the 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools Award for creating vibrant, welcoming and affirming school communities where students can learn, grow, reach their potential and achieve their dreams,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona.
“As our country continues to recover from the pandemic, we know that our future will only be as strong as the education we provide to all of our children,” Cardona said. “Blue Ribbon Schools have gone above and beyond to keep students healthy and safe while meeting their academic, social, emotional and mental health needs. These schools show what is possible to make an enduring, positive difference in students’ lives.”
In its 39-year history, the national Blue Ribbon Schools program has become a trademark of excellence and a symbol of exemplary teaching and learning. National Blue Ribbon Schools serve as models of effective school practices for state and district educators throughout the nation.
The program recognizes schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools: Among the state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools: Among the state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
The 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools will be honored at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. later this school year.
More information on the program, and a list of past Kentucky winners, is available on the USED’s website.