Picture of a school lunchroom filled with young students eating lunch at tables and talking to each other.

The Summer Food Service Program, which is administered by the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE), will provide meals at no cost from June through August to children 18 and under who are from low-income families.

KDE partners with school districts and community organizations statewide to offer nutritious meals, recreational fun and educational activities while school is out of session.

More than 1,800 sites will serve meals this summer to Kentucky children. The number of Summer Food Service Program meals and meal sites has increased annually for the past five years as more awareness of, and participation in, the program has occurred.

While locations and meal service times vary across the state, there are several ways to find a Summer Food Service Program site:

The Summer Food Service Program is part of the National Summer Food Service Program, a federally funded program operated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Program information also may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), which also is available at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  • Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  • Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  • Email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.