Nine students at The Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science at Western Kentucky University have received a nationally-competitive National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) scholarships for immersive, critical language study this summer and next academic year.
The 2020 summer awards are being administered through a five-week NSLI-Y online intensive summer program that will include daily language courses, cultural learning and intercultural understanding.
The winners and their schools are:
- Cat Appelman, Elizabethtown High School (Elizabethtown Independent)
- Michael Givens, Green County High School
- Melanie Grimm, Paul G. Blazer High School (Ashland Independent)
- Margot Hare, Rowan County Senior High School
- Krupa Hegde, Larry A. Ryle High School (Boone County)
- Jada Hunter-Hays, LaRue County High School
- Sarah Pedersen, Corbin High School (Corbin Independent)
- Lauren Taylor, Campbell County High School
- Sasha Taylor, Dixie Heights High School (Kenton County)