The UK Confucius Institute (UKCI) has announced the 2019 High School Students Experiencing China Field Study — a 14-day study program in China hosted by the UK Confucius Institute and designed to help Kentucky high school students expand their Chinese language and culture experiences. Twenty Kentucky high school students will be selected to go on this trip of a lifetime.
Since this trip is sponsored and subsidized by the UK Confucius Institute, accepted participants will receive a special scholarship to cover all expenses within China. Participants will bear the responsibility for international round-trip airfare, insurance and visa application fee.
The trip dates are June 10-24. Trip orientation dates are March 23 and April 20. These orientations are required for trip participants.
Applicants should be:
- A United States citizen;
- Currently enrolled high school student (grades 9-12) and between ages 15 and 18;
- Of non-heritage Chinese language background and fewer than three years of Chinese learning experience;
- Deeply interested in Chinese language and culture; and
- Of adequate health for international travel.
- Complete the online application;
- Attach the following required documents to the online application:
- A reference letter from a teacher, counselor or principal
- A personal statement from the applicant
The application deadline is Feb. 19. Applications will be reviewed by the scholarship committee and students will be notified of the results after March 1. Email Carrie Wheeler at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or with questions.
For more information, visit the UKCI website.